We have all heard that protein is good for our hair. We all know why. Protein helps build stronger, healthy hair. It provides the nourishment that your hair needs for proper growth. Naturally, we all feel eager to grab that bottle of protein shampoo or conditioner in hopes of beautiful hair. Now, you would ask if the protein is good for hair, then why protein free shampoos. Well, in this article, I will introduce you to protein free shampoo and why they are useful.
- Why Do you Need Protein Free Shampoo?
- List of Best Protein Free Shampoo
- Top 7 Protein Free Shampoo Reviews
- 1. SheaMoisture Baobab & Tea Tree Oils Low Porosity Hydro-Infusion Shampoo:
- 2. Free & Clear Medicated Anti-Dandruff Shampoo:
- 3. Jessicurl Gentle Lather Shampoo, No Fragrance:
- 4. NIUCOCO | All-Natural Hydrating Coconut Oil Shampoo:
- 5. As I Am Curl Clarity Shampoo:
- 6. Love Beauty And Planet Hope and Hair Repair Sulfate-Free Shampoo:
- 7. Aria Starr Argan Oil Shampoo With Keratin, Coconut, Jojoba:
- Points to Consider Before Buying Protein Free Shampoo?
Why Do you Need Protein Free Shampoo?
Everyone suggests that protein shampoos are good for your hair. Then why should anyone go against it? Well, there are reasons. When you use a protein-free shampoo or conditioner, the protein present in it is supposed to be absorbed by the strands of your hair. This supplies the protein necessary for nourishment and makes your hair shiny, healthy, and supple. But have you felt that your hair feels all mushy after you use a protein formula? Does it become difficult to style your hair because no style would stay for long? If this is your case, you need a shampoo without protein.
Why the anomaly? Well, it’s not just you who faces such a problem. Many women face the same problem day in, day out without knowing what’s wrong. While protein formulas work great for many people, it creates a disaster when it comes to low porosity hair. Not quite familiar with the term? Well, simply put, low porosity hair is resistant to absorption, whether that be moisture or protein. As you wash your hair with a protein formula, the protein remains on the surface of the hair and isn’t absorbed. The result is just horrible. Your hair feels limp even after a good wash and it’s nearly impossible to style that hair.
In such situations, it is best to avoid the protein and go for a protein free shampoo and conditioner. Since you are not adding extra protein with every wash, your hair will retain its normal self and can be styled easily. That said, if you feel that your hair is turning dry, brittle, lack-luster, and weak, you must go for a protein treatment once or twice a month with alkaline or high pH hair care products. Alkalinity will open up the hair cuticles, making protein absorption easier.
List of Best Protein Free Shampoo
Top 7 Protein Free Shampoo Reviews
1. SheaMoisture Baobab & Tea Tree Oils Low Porosity Hydro-Infusion Shampoo:
Are you looking for a shampoo that can be effective to treat low porosity hair? Well, then it is time that you switch to this particular shampoo from SheaMoisture. It contains Tea Tree and Baobab oil extracts which nourish your hair from the root. Not only that the all-natural combination enhances the moisture level in your hair reducing dryness and dullness.
Most of us like a shampoo being a bit lather inducing. This particular protein free shampoo is of that category and set to be your favorite one for sure. Another important ingredient of this natural shampoo is Shea Butter which again makes your hair moist and keeps them fresh.
- Includes tea tree and baobab oils.
- Shea butter is one of the prime ingredients.
- Improves hair moisture level and nourishes them pretty well.
- No paraben products included.
- No harsh chemical products.
- So far none of the customers reported anything negative about this protein fee shampoo and conditioner.
2. Free & Clear Medicated Anti-Dandruff Shampoo:
Having sensitive skin makes it difficult to choose a shampoo. Choosing a shampoo with dyes, artificial fragrances or any harsh chemical can be problematic for you. In this kind of situation then it’s best to use this particular Medicated Anti-dandruff shampoo from Vanicream.
While it contains no paraben, dye, sulfate, fragrances, or any other harmful chemicals, you will get an effective result against dandruff for sure. With regular use, your hair will remain clean and oil-free for sure. It’s formulated to be suitable for those having sensitive skin and unable to use most of the popular anti-dandruff shampoos. Of course, people having normal skin, can use this shampoo and get benefited.
The most important ingredient of this without protein shampoo is Pyrithione Zinc which acts as an anti-fungal agent, therefore reducing dandruff effectively and removing dead skin cells. Apart from that, it’s a unique formula to be allergen-free and mild which means you get no smell at all while using this product.
- Effective shampoo for those suffering from seborrheic dermatitis and dandruff
- Suitable to use even for people having sensitive skin and patients of eczema
- Every single ingredient is hypo-allergenic in-nature
- Recommended by expert dermatologists
- No dye, artificial fragrance or formaldehyde products
- Scent used is mild
- The formula is non-comedogenic in-nature
- Great for oily hair
- It might leave your hair dull and dry
- Might not produce a lot of lather to your liking
3. Jessicurl Gentle Lather Shampoo, No Fragrance:
Some people love to shampoo their hair and people who use shampoo occasionally. If you belong to the first category then this particular product from Jessicurl is the best that you can buy. In case your hair has been feeling a bit dull and dirty, then it’s time to try Jessicurl. It contains all the natural ingredients and does not have any kind of sulfate, glycerin, silicones, or aloe vera. These might make your hair dull and dry and the absence of these adds to the effectiveness of this shampoo. It’s a gentle combination formulated to suit all types of hair and makes your hair clean with regular wash. And the best part is that Jessicurl offers this lather inducing shampoo with fragrance and without fragrance, which means you can choose to order either according to your liking.
- It’s a mild formula that can be used as baby shampoo.
- Creates a nice creamy lather much to your liking.
- It’s gentle on your hair.
- This sulfate and protein free shampoo does not strip your hair with every use.
- Makes your hair clean and keeps them healthy.
- No harsh chemicals or artificial fragrance included.
- Might make your hair dry to some extent
4. NIUCOCO | All-Natural Hydrating Coconut Oil Shampoo:
NIUCOCO brings to you a high-quality coconut oil shampoo that works gently on your hair and keeps your healthy. This low foam formula works on colored hair as well and does not make your hair color fade away. It’s formulated to restore hair moisture while keeping your air natural oil balance intact. It’s not only a nourishing formula for your hair but also is effective against dandruff. People with frizzy, curly, or straight hair can use this formula and get benefited for sure. This protein free shampoo being effectively formulated is safe to use on a regular basis. It contains no sulfate, mineral oil, gluten, paraben, or any other harmful chemicals. It’s all-natural ingredients like fruit extracts, camellia leaf extract, lactic acid, glycerin, etc only adds to the benefits of this shampoo being effective on any type of hair without any side effects.
- Coconut goes deep into your hair strands
- Makes your hair shiny, strong and soft
- Keeps your scalp healthy
- Prevents your air from breakage
- Does not contain mineral oil, artificial fragrance, paraben or sulfate products
- Might make your hair a bit greasy
5. As I Am Curl Clarity Shampoo:
Having curly hair is always difficult to manage; more so, if you do not have the right shampoo to tend your hair to perfection. It is important that you use a shampoo that will not only nourish your hair but also will keep yours under control. For those having trouble to keep your curly hair shiny, oil, and dirt-free, it’s time to choose one of the best protein free shampoo brands As I Am. It’s a targeted formula that works effectively on any type of skin and most certainly helps you work through your messy, curly hair. With every wash, you can feel fresh, residue-free hair. The best part of using this shampoo is that even after regular use it keeps your hair hydrated all the time. This formula contains amla, tangerine, and coconut which add to hair nourishment, and being sulfate free it keeps your hair away from harsh chemicals. So, if you wish to get your hair shine back, and flaunt your style, this is amongst the best protein free shampoos that you can try out.
- Small amount works perfectly
- Removes product build-up and any other impurities from your hair with ease
- No sulfate products added
- Does not strip your hair or hair color
- Leaves your hair moist, shiny and healthy
- Prevents your hair from getting dry and rough
- Works even for color-treated hair
- Might strip moisture from your hair
- Might make your hair brittle and dull
6. Love Beauty And Planet Hope and Hair Repair Sulfate-Free Shampoo:
Love Beauty and Planet bring to your one of the best sulfate free hair repairing shampoo that you can buy. It promises zero harm to your hair and offers effective hair damage repair. It’s formulated with natural ingredients and coconut oil infusion which nourishes your hair. In case you have dry, dull hair, this is the best possible protein free shampoos that you can go for. With its ingredients like flower oil and natural essential oils, you can expect nice fresh with every wash. It contains no sulfate, paraben, or silicone products which might damage your hair, instead, it makes sure that it repair any type of damage or spilled ends that your hair might have.
- No harsh chemicals included
- Effective on any type of hair
- Being protein free shampoo it has no side effects
- Repair your damaged hair to good effect
- Makes your hair clean and dirt free with every wash
- If you love later inducing shampoo this product might not be suitable for you
7. Aria Starr Argan Oil Shampoo With Keratin, Coconut, Jojoba:
Aria Starr brings to you a perfect combination of jojoba, coconut, keratin, and Argan oil in a single bottle. This formula is strong enough to not only clean your hair but also treat your hair as well. Other than that, it contains essential oils and other natural ingredients which only adds to the benefits of your hair. With regular use, you can gain your shiny, soft, and silky hair back. This shampoo protein free can easily be used for those having sensitive skin or itchy scalp without hesitation at all. It can treat your spilled ends, remove frizz from your hair, and makes your hair look soft and healthy. Even if you color your hair on a regular basis and like to style them, with this shampoo you do not have to worry about that at all. You will get oil free, soft, and clean hair with every wash.
- Pure argan oil shampoo
- It’s formulated to suit any type of skin
- Makes your hair shiny and soft with regular use
- It’s one of the best shampoo and conditioner without protein
- Takes care of your split ends and scalp
- Repair your hair damage significantly
- Bit expensive compared to other products in the same category
- Might make your scalp itchy
- Might not be suitable for sensitive skin
Points to Consider Before Buying Protein Free Shampoo?
Protein free shampoos are becoming more popular by the day. Every time I go online to shop, I see more and more products popping up. Some are from popular brands while others are names that I have never heard. I am not saying that old is better and new is bad. Not at all! I am all for new formulas and new research. But before I buy anything, I make sure that I do my research. If a product ticks off all criteria on my checklist, or at least, most of them, I consider buying them.
Here are a few things that I feel that you should check before buying a no protein shampoo:
The very first thing that I check is the ingredient list. If a product doesn’t provide one, I steer clear of it. I don’t like taking chances with my hair and so should you. If the list of ingredients is available, I check each one to ensure that none of them is harmful. I would suggest that you go for a sulfate and protein free shampoo. That way, you eliminate one of the most harmful ingredients that go in shampoo making. Next, you can think of buying an all-organic shampoo if that’s the way you like it.
If you are allergic to certain ingredients, you must tally the ingredient list. If the allergen is not on the list, you can order one immediately.
While there are many protein free shampoo brands, you would like to use one from a brand that you like. Search for it first and if your favorite brand doesn’t have a low protein shampoo on their catalog, you will have to shift to a different brand. It may be an already popular brand or a niche brand that’s gaining popularity with its latest range of shampoos without protein. If it is a new brand, you may have to do some research for its credibility.
Customer reviews can be very helpful in selecting a good product. Once you have made a list of no protein shampoo, you can check out their reviews. If the reviews are good, you may consider buying one. Another benefit of checking out the customer reviews is that you get to know the upsides and downsides of each product and that too, firsthand. This helps you make a wise decision.
Last but not the least, you should consider the price of the product. Good things come at a good price, but they are not meant to affect your bottom line. So, while you mustn’t be tightfisted while buying shampoo, you shouldn’t spend exorbitantly as well. Price tags are not everything. A product that has quality ingredients has good reviews, does its job well, and comes at a reasonable price would be the ideal pick.
Just because everyone suggests protein formulas are good for your hair, doesn’t mean it will work for you as well. Hair porosity differs from person to person and that can make all the difference. So, instead of loading up your hair with unnecessary proteins, use a protein free shampoo and conditioner for best results. You will feel the difference between each wash. Style away all you want!
You May Also Like to Read: